Collaborative Family Practice Teams
A collaborative family practice team provides:
- Comprehensive care – the team provides a full range of health care, from basic wellness check-ups to managing complex conditions.
- Accessible care – the team works to offer appointments at various times that best meet the needs of patients.
- Coordinated care – patients see the right health care provider for their needs.
- Continuity of care – patients see the same team of providers throughout their life, building a medical history and trusting relationship over time.
- Community-oriented care – the team works to meet the specific health needs of patients, and of the community.
Primary Health Care is working to create more and strengthen existing collaborative family practice teams across the province. Having access to a primary care provider, such as a family doctor or nurse practitioner, is important to all of us for our health and wellness. If you don’t have a family doctor or nurse practitioner, please register with Need a Family Practice.
Collaborative Family Practice Team Locations in Nova Scotia
There are approximately 50 collaborative family practice team locations in the province, in various stages of development, that are supported by Nova Scotia Health Authority and the Department of Health and Wellness. (You can watch a video about the Westville Collaboratove Family Practice here.)
We consider a collaborative family practice team to have at least three primary health care providers with two or more professional disciplines (e.g. two family physicians and a nurse practitioner or a family practice nurse).
As well, some family physicians or other organizations such as First Nations or universities directly employ nurses or other health professionals in their family practices; these practices are not captured in the list below.
Annapolis and Kings Counties, Digby, Shelburne and Yarmouth Counties, Lunenburg and Queens Counties
- Annapolis Collaborative Practice, Annapolis Royal
- Berwick Family Practice, Berwick
- Bridgewater and Area Family Health Clinic, Bridgewater
- Chester Community Clinic @ OHC, Chester
- Clare Health Centre, Meteghan Centre
- Digby Collaborative Family Practice, Team Digby
- Family Medical Centre, Bridgewater
- Harbour South Medical Clinic, Yarmouth
- Kingston Family Health, Kingston
- Lunenburg Family Health, Lunenburg
- Middleton Collaborative Practice, Middleton
- (includes Greenwood Family Health Clinic and service to Bridgetown)
- Pelham Medical Services, Lunenburg
- Queens Family Health, Liverpool
- Roseway Medical Clinic/ Lockeport area, Shelburne
Cape Breton, Victoria, Inverness, Richmond, Guysborough and Antigonish Counties.
- Anita Foley Health Services Centre, Guysborough
- Antigonish Family Practice, Antigonish
- Cheticamp Collaborative Practice Group, Cheticamp
- Dr. W. K. Kingston Memorial Health Centre, L’Ardoise
- Eskasoni Community Health Centre, Eskasoni
- Inverness Collaborative Practice, Inverness
- Island Family Health Care, Sydney
- Island Gateway Medical Clinic, Port Hawkesbury
- New Waterford Collaborative Practice, New Waterford
- Northside General Family Practice, North Sydney
- Sterling Medical Centre, Glace Bay
- Sydney Collaborative Practice, Sydney
Colchester County and Municipality of East Hants, Cumberland County, and Pictou County
- All Saints Collaborative Practice, Springhill
- East Side Collaborative Practice, New Glasgow
- Kennetcook Medical Centre, Kennetcook
- Lillian Fraser Memorial Collaborative Practice/Collaborative Emergency Centre (CEC), Tatamagouche
- North Cumberland Collaborative Practice / Collaborative Emergency Centre (CEC), Pugwash
- Parrsboro Collaborative Practice / Collaborative Emergency Centre (CEC), Parrsboro
(connected to locations in River Hebert and Advocate Harbour)
- Pictou West Collaborative Practice, Pictou
- Sipekne'katik Health Centre, Indian Brook
- Truro Collaborative Practice, Truro
- West Side Medical Centre, New Glasgow
- Westville Medical Clinic, Westville
Halifax area and West Hants
- Albro Lake Medical Clinic, Dartmouth
- Community Health and Wellness Centre, North Preston & East Preston
(serving North Preston, East Preston, Cherry Book, and Lake Loon)
- Dalhousie Family Medicine, Halifax, Spryfield
- Duffus Health Centre, Halifax
- Eastern Shore Memorial, Sheet Harbour
- Hatchet Lake Medical Centre, Hatchet Lake
- Musquodoboit Harbour Medical Clinic, Musquodoboit Harbour
- Musquodoboit Valley Family Practice, Musquodoboit Valley
- North End Community Health Centre, Halifax
- Spryfield Medical Centre, Spryfield
- Windsor Collaborative Practice, Windsor
- Woodlawn Medical Clinic, Dartmouth