Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery (OMF)
The Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (OMF) provides surgery to treat a wide variety of diseases, injuries and defects in the head, neck, face and jaws.
Various types of Surgery we Perform
- Trauma - Injuries to the face from simple cuts to complex fractures of the facial bones
- Head and Neck Cancer - performing tumor resection and subsequent reconstruction
- Facial Deformity & Jaw Dysfunction - Surgery to correct jaw/bite abnormalities (orthognathic), obstructive sleep apnea, cleft lip and palate, temporomandibular joint reconstruction and implant reconstruction of missing teeth
- Dental Surgery - Surgery to remove teeth, which are infected, impacted or associated with cysts or tumors
Location and Contact Info
How Do I Access This Service?
The majority of patients are seen initially for a consultation appointment only. Following the consult, a decision is made regarding the necessity and timing of surgery.
Patients must be referred by a physician or dentist to be seen in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery clinic.
Referrals must include the patient’s name, date of birth, health card number/expiry date, phone numbers for day and evening and a complete mailing address with postal code.
Referral forms may be mailed, faxed or emailed to:
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Victoria General Hospital
1276 South Park Street
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Documents and Forms
Patient information brochures:
- Cleft Lip and Palate Surgery (.pdf)
- Corrective Jaw Surgery (Orthognathic Surgery) (.pdf)
- Facial Fractures (.pdf)
- Getting Ready for Oral Surgery at the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Clinic (.pdf)
- Preprosthetic Surgery (.pdf)
- Temporomandibular Joint Surgery Jaw Joint Surgery (TMJ) (.pdf)
- Tumor and Reconstruction Surgery of the Mouth and Jaws (.pdf)
- Veterans' Oral Health Program (.pdf)