African Heritage Month event focuses on education, celebration
The Bethune Ballroom was overflowing on February 28, 2018 as more than 100 community members and NSHA staff gathered for a celebration of African Heritage Month. The focus of the event was in keeping with this year's African Heritage Month theme: Educate, Unite, Celebrate Community.
The event featured a traditional African libation by Uncle/Elder Nqobisizwe Adekayode and remarks by several speakers, including:
- Carmelle d'Entremont, VP People and Organizational Development
- Vickie Sullivan, Executive Director of Operations for Central Zone
- Dr. Barbara Hamilton Hinch, Dalhousie School of Health and Human Performance
- Colin Campbell, Board Member, Health Association of African Canadians
It also featured several talented performers:
- Janvier Nahimana leading a group of Burundian drummers and dancers
- El Jones, poet and spoken word artist
- Olu and family from CHAMA (Challenge AIDS and Malaria in Africa)
You'll get a taste of the event in these photographs and event summary.