Interim primary care access for people without a family practice in Cumberland County
Nova Scotia Health Authority has established a virtual clinic for people who do not have a family doctor or nurse practitioner in Cumberland County to receive care for their more immediate primary health care needs.
The virtual clinic will be operational through June 30, 2020, along with the clinics established last week in New Glasgow and Truro, as a temporary measure to provide care during the pandemic.
Nova Scotia Health Authority is working with a number of family doctors and nurse practitioners in Advocate, Amherst, Parrsboro, Pugwash, River Hebert, and Springhill who will provide appointments by phone to people in their area who are on the Need a Family Practice Registry. Anyone who does not have a primary care provider can add their name online at needafamilypractice.nshealth.ca
Patients who need an in-person appointment, as determined by the primary care provider, will be seen by the family doctor or nurse practitioner in their practice.
The participating health professionals are offering same day or next day primary medical care for those who have an illness, injury, or more urgent health condition that requires prompt treatment, such as:
- Nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea
- Back, joint, or muscle aches and pains
- Mild headaches
- Eye irritation and infections
- Urinary problems
- Asthma (mild to moderate)
- Bites and stings
- Rashes, hives, and mild allergic reactions
- Cuts, scrapes, bruises, and other minor wounds
- Other minor conditions or minor injuries
People who are experiencing two or more of the following symptoms: fever, new or worsening cough, sore throat, runny nose, or headache should complete the COVID-19 self-screen available at 811.novascotia.ca and then call 811 for advice.
All appointments must be arranged by phone. People who do not have a primary care provider and who are on the registry should call:
- Cumberland County: 1-855-597-2420 Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- New Glasgow (serving Pictou County): 902-752-8643 Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Truro (serving Colchester East Hants): 902-899-2273 Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
Provincial media line: 1-844-483-3344