- Pulmonary Rehabilitation may help you to:
- Reduce your symptoms of shortness of breath and feeling tired.
- More easily do daily activities, such as taking a shower and cooking.
- Improve your muscle strength and flexibility.
- Improve your ability to walk and exercise.
- Be more physically active with less shortness of breath.
- Feel better and enjoy life more.
- Manage your weight.
- Learn how to manage your symptoms and avoid unplanned hospital visits.
Location and contact information
Cape Breton Heart and Lung Wellness Centre
200 Churchill Drive, Suite 101
Who is the program for?
- Have common signs and symptoms of chronic lung disease.
- Have shortness of breath, a stubborn cough, thick mucus and/or a wheeze.
- Have to stop to rest after walking a few minutes. Have shortness of breath and fatigue that causes problems at work.
- Have shortness of breath that prevents you from doing everyday things, such as taking a shower or vacuuming the floor.
- Have feelings of stress or anxiety about your breathing.
How do I get an appointment?
Talk to your family doctor or a member of your health care team about being referred to your local PR Program. If you would like more info about the PR Program, please call the program nearest you.
What happens when I'm there?
- Exercise at home
- Inhaled medications and how to use them
- Lung structure and function
- Healthy food choices
- Home oxygen
- Coping with lung disease/stress management
- Advanced care planning
- Action plans to help manage flare ups of your lung disease symptoms
- Triggers and avoidance strategies
- Breathing/coughing techniques