In-home Blood Collection Services
A patient’s physician or nurse practitioner will initiate the request for this service through the Nova Scotia Health Pathology and Laboratory Medicine In-Home Blood Collection referral process.
- Housebound and unable to go out of the home; or
- Where not providing blood collection in the home would cause undue hardship to the patient. The hardship could be physical, medical, financial or other.
- Patients who fit the above criteria and collection is by venipuncture. Continue to refer all collections via lines, catheters, ports, etc. to Continuing Care.
- Patients meet the eligibility criteria for in home collection
- Submission of a completed In-Home Blood Collection Referral form
- Submission of a completed laboratory requisition,
- Indication on the laboratory requisition of the timeframe requested for testing and if recurrent collections are required.
For health care providers