Update on COVID-19 testing options in Eastern Zone
Wednesday, April 28, 2021 - 07:35PM
April 28, 2021
(SYDNEY, NS) - In response to testing demand, Public Health is increasing testing options in the Eastern Zone. As a reminder, there are three options for getting a COVID test in Nova Scotia:
- Primary assessment centres,
- Public health mobile units and
- Pop-up rapid testing.
The Public Health Mobile Unit will be in Port Hawkesbury and New Waterford for pre-booked appointments at the following locations:
Port Hawkesbury Civic Centre (606 Reeves Street, Port Hawkesbury)
- Thursday, April 29 from 10 a.m. – 6:30 p.m.
- Friday, April 30 from 10 a.m. – 6:30 p.m.
- Saturday, May 1 from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Knights of Columbus (3236 Plummer Ave., New Waterford)
- Monday, May 3 from 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Tuesday, May 4 from 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
*Appointments for New Waterford will open for booking on Friday, April 30.
COVID-19 testing is also available across Cape Breton at Primary Assessment Centres and pop-up rapid testing sites.
Primary Assessment Centres are by appointment only, for those who have symptoms, no symptoms (asymptomatic), have been to a potential exposure site and all ages. Gargle tests are available for children and youth. Please note, the dates and times available for appointment vary by site and are changing daily based on demand. To book an appointment, visit https://covid-self-assessment.novascotia.ca/en or call 811.
- Grand Lake Road Primary Assessment Centre - Grand Lake Road Fire Hall, 850 Grand Lake Rd, Sydney
- Northside General Hospital Primary Assessment Centre - 520 Purves St, North Sydney
- Antigonish Market Square Primary Assessment Centre – 149 Church St., Antigonish
- Buchanan Memorial Community Health Centre Primary Assessment Centre – 32610 Cabot Trail, Neil’s Harbour
- Eastern Memorial Hospital Primary Assessment Centre – 1746 Union St., Canso
- Sacred Heart Community Health Centre Primary Assessment Centre – 15102 Cabot Trail, Cheticamp
- Inverness Consolidated Memorial Hospital Primary Assessment Centre – 39 James St., Inverness
- Strait Richmond Hospital Primary Assessment Centre – 138 Hospital Rd., Cleveland
- Victoria County Memorial Hospital Primary Assessment Centre – 30 Old Margaree Rd., Baddeck
Available appointments at primary assessment centres and mobile units are posted three days in advance in our booking system. If you do not see an available appointment, please check back. When people cancel appointments, they also reappear in the booking system. When booking a test, please book at a location closest to your home.
Drop-in Primary Assessment Centres are by drop-in only, between 9 a.m. – 9 p.m., seven days a week, for those who have symptoms, no symptoms (asymptomatic), have been to a potential exposure site and all ages. Gargle tests are available for children and youth.
- Membertou Entertainment Centre Primary Assessment Centre - 11 Chief Ben Christmas Awti’j, Membertou
Rapid Testing is available through drop-in only, for those 16 and older, with no symptoms (asymptomatic), have not been to potential exposure sites. Gargle tests for children and youth are not available.
C200 - Rapid Testing pop-up (481 George St, Sydney)
- April 28 -30, 11 a.m. – 7 p.m.
- For locations that require an appointment, please book online at https://covid-self-assessment.novascotia.ca/en. If you don’t have access to the internet, call 811.
- Swish and Gargle is available at primary assessment centres and mobile units for children and youth up to age 18. Preparation is required for gargle testing. View instructions.
- Please bring your health card with you, if you have one.
- You may have to wait in line outside; please dress accordingly.
- It may take longer than 72 hours to receive a negative result by email.
- Testing is free to everyone.
All Nova Scotians are advised to continue monitoring for COVID-19 symptoms and are urged to follow Public Health guidelines. Up to date information about COVID-19 is available at novascotia.ca/coronavirus
In addition to media releases, all potential exposure notifications are listed here: http://www.nshealth.ca/covid-exposures