Falls Clinic (Geriatric Day Hospital)
Please note: The clinic is not functioning at full capacity due to the COVID-19 pandemic
The Falls Clinic is an assessment and rehabilitation service for persons 65 years and older who have had one or more falls or have difficulties with mobility or balance. The goal of the clinic is to prevent future falls in those at risk of falling.
The staff at the Falls Clinic includes professionals in nursing, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, social work and geriatric medicine.
Location, hours and contact information
Geriatric Day Hospital
How can I access this clinic?
A person who is eligible can be referred by his/her family doctor or by any health professional with the agreement of the person’s family doctor.
Below is the criteria to access this clinic:
- you must be 65 years or older
- have had one or more falls OR have mobility and balance difficulties
- agree to be assessed by Falls Clinic staff
- are able to take part in an exercise program
- patient must be able to attend 2 hour sessions twice weekly for 6 to 8 weeks
What can I expect from my visit?
The clinic assesses:
- overall health status
- risk factors for falling
- home safety
- walking aids
- footwear and foot care
- home supports
Treatments may include:
- modification of risks for falling
- medication review changes
- exercise programs
- equipment prescription
- home adaptation suggestions
- foot care
- links to community resources
- counseling for persons and caregivers
Documents and forms
- Referral form (fillable .pdf)
- Brochure (.pdf)