The Outpatient ABI Clinics provide specialty medical consultation and follow up regarding your brain injury and recovery.
There is a Stroke Clinic and a Traumatic Brain Injury Clinic.
Nova Scotia Rehabilitation and Arthritis Centre
1341 Summer Street, Level 2
Halifax, Nova Scotia. B3H 4K4
How do I access the Outpatient ABI Clinic?
Referrals are accepted from Family Physicians or other medical specialists. Referrals can be faxed to 902-473-3204. Potential reasons for referral:
- Medical management of brain injury symptoms
- ABI related pain management
- Need for return to work planning (connection to vocational services or neuropsychology)
- Medications for ABI related mood and behaviour changes
- Spasticity (tone) management
- Consideration for admission to inpatient rehabilitation from the community
You must also be:
- 16 years of age or older
- Diagnosed with an acquired brain injury (e.g. traumatic brain injury, stroke, brain tumor, meningitis/encephalitis, lack of oxygen to the brain)
How do I prepare for an appointment?
You will receive a letter with your appointment time and location, as well as information on how to prepare for the appointment.
What will happen during my appointment
You will meet with a Physiatrist or Specialty Nurse Practitioner who will complete a physical exam and review any medical issues /concerns you have related to your ABI.
Will there be any follow up?
The need for follow up and whether you should be referred to other services will be discussed during your visit.