Fees and Bill Payments
Residents of Canada
If you have a valid provincial health card, most of the services you receive in hospital are paid for by your respective provincial health insurance program. However, there are some items that are not covered. An example of these services, supplies and procedures for which the patient is responsible include:
- Cosmetic procedures
- Some elective procedures such as ear wax removal, skin scraping
- Splinting supplies
- Sick notes
- Elective physical exams (license/insurance/employment)
- Access to and release of personal health information
- Room Type*
* Patients with valid provincial health coverage are provided standard ward accommodations (three to four beds per room). If you have additional health insurance, staff may bill your insurance company for semi-private or private rooms.
Before you leave the hospital, please arrange to pay your bill. Please bring your current Health Card. You may pay by:
- Bank (debit) card
- VISA or MasterCard
Canadian hospital and medical services are excellent, but a hospital visit can be costly.
If you are not a Canadian citizen with a valid health card, you will not be refused treatment, but you will be responsible for the cost of your care.
Nova Scotia Health Authority charges fees for a variety of services based on a cost-recovery model. Fees are subject to change without notice. You will also be charged a fee for accessing your health record. Fees vary.
Please note that fees are in Canadian funds and may be higher if special services, high-cost procedures, or drugs are used.
Emergency Health Services
Patients are responsible for all costs associated with ambulance services provided by Emergency Health Services.
For all inquiries about Ground Ambulance service fees, please contact the Emergency Health Services billing office at: 1-888-280-8884.
If you are admitted to hospital, you will be charged a daily rate. This standard rate includes your room and most services provided by the hospital and staff including:
- Most drugs and tests
- Blood work
These rates do NOT include:
- Doctors’ fees. You will be billed directly by the doctor.
- Telephone and television services
- Some high-cost drugs and tests
We try to provide you with the accommodations you have requested. However, private and semi-private rooms are not always available.