The emergency department has a separate entrance on the main level. It is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
If you need help immediately, call 911.
To access the mental health mobile crisis team call 902-429-8167 or toll-free at 1-888-429-8167. This is a 24 hour, seven days a week phone service to help you or your loved one cope with mental health and addiction challenges in the moment.
Clinics and Services
- Inpatient medical, surgical care and critical care
- General surgery
- Ear nose and throat surgery
- Orthopaedic surgery
- Plastic surgery
- Oral maxillofacial surgery
- Extensive outpatient services
- General radiography
- CT scanning
- Laboratory services
- Renal dialysis
Visitors are welcome through out the day except during a rest period between 2:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
The Dartmouth General has a paid parking lot for patients and visitors. When you enter the parking lot you will be given a ticket. Take this ticket with you into the hospital. When you leave the hospital there is a machine to pay for your parking inside the main door. The machine accepts cash or credit card. The following rates apply:
- $2 for the first hour (and any part of the first hour)
- $1 per hour after the first hour to a maximum of $8 a day (per single entry)
Weekly and monthly parking rates are available, if needed. Contact the business office for more information.
We make every effort to make sure your stay with us is as comfortable as possible. Patients requiring semi-private or private rooms for medical reasons always have priority; however, private or semi-private rooms may be available on request.
Private room: $175 per day - Includes one bed and one washroom.
Semi-private room: $155 per day - Includes two beds separated by curtains and one washroom.
Ward room: Covered under your Nova Scotia Health Card (MSI) - Includes three or four beds (separated by curtains) and one washroom.
Space in our private and semi-private rooms is limited. The sooner we have your insurance information the more likely we are to be able to accommodate your request.
When the booking clerk calls with your hospital admission date, let them know you are interested in a private or semi-private room.
When you are admitted, be sure to have your private insurance card with you and let the admitting clerk know you have requested a private or semi-private room.
TV and Phone in your room
During your stay in hospital, you have the option of activating your bedside telephone service.
Bedside TV service is available at no charge if you request, receive and pay for a private or semi-private room either personally or by using your private health insurance. If you do not have private health insurance, the following rates apply:
- Basic TV: $9.50 per day plus taxes
- Premium TV: $11.60 per day plus taxes
Please note: A portion of the revenues generated is returned to the hospital to help fund various hospital improvements.
How to set up bedside TV service
- To activate your television, just dial 2999 from your bedside telephone.
- A customer service representative is available every day between 2 p.m. and 8 p.m. to address any questions or concerns, receive cash payment and process your request.
How to connect, transfer or disconnect your phone
- Dial 499 from your bedside phone and a BellAliant representative will arrange to have your phone service connected, transferred to another bed, or disconnected.
- BellAliant’s office is open Monday to Saturday, 8:15 a.m. to 4:45 p.m., except holidays.
- If you have questions about the service, please call 1-800-760-8969.
- When you are discharged remember to dial 499 to request that your phone be disconnected so that billing is stopped.
- If you forget to request your hospital phone disconnected before discharged to home, call 1-800-760-8969 Monday to Saturday between 8:15 a.m. and 4:45 p.m. to arrange disconnection.
Service and Connection Rates
- There is a $10 connection charge to set up in-hospital phone service.
- The following fees also apply:
- $2 per day for the first 15 days
- $1.25 per day for each additional day up to and including 30 days
- $0.75 for each day after 30 days
• Daily service and connection charges are billed to your BellAliant home telephone account.
• If you are with another provider, BellAliant will create a separate account for the duration of your hospital stay.
• Your bill can be paid the same way you would pay any other BellAliant bill.
During your stay at the hospital, you will receive breakfast, lunch and supper daily. You can choose from a variety of options each day. The menus typically include:
- Breakfast: An assortment of homemade muffins, hot and cold cereals, yogurt and fruit, coffee or tea.
- Lunch: Choose from soup and sandwiches, mixed vegetables, pasta and casseroles, including dessert of fresh fruit or a sweet.
- Supper: Options include meat, fish, potatoes and vegetables.
If you follow a special diet or have food-related allergies or sensitivities, let us know when you arrive. The procedure for ordering meals will be further discussed on admission by dietetic technicians. If you need help filling out your menu, or feel you or your family member may be unable fill out the menus daily, please talk to the dietetic technicians.
• Food and Nutrition Services Video: Behind the Scenes
Cafeteria and Vending Machines
The cafeteria is located on the basement level.
Hours of operation:
Daily: 7:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
There are also vending machines outside the cafeteria and prepared sandwiches and snacks are available at the gift shop.
The gift shop located on the main level.
Hours of operation:
Daily: 9:30 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Please note: The gift shop is closed between 5:30 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. for supper.
Spiritual Spaces and Quiet Rooms
The Place of Prayer and Meditation is on the main level, just past the elevators. It is open 24 hours a day. There are prayer mats, a meditation cushion, and other spiritual resources available.
A bank machine is located in the main lobby of the hospital.
Dartmouth General Hospital provides services to approximately 120,000 people in Dartmouth and surrounding areas.