The Maritime Heart Center Women’s Heart Health Clinic (MHC-WHHC) is a specialized outpatient cardiac clinic designed for the assessment and care of female patients with a history of heart disease, and/or major risk factors for heart disease. Heart disease risk factors, symptoms and causes, although similar to men, can also be different in women, especially younger women. A physician referral is required.
In the MHC-WHHC, patients may be seen by a team including nurses, doctors, and other healthcare professionals who:
- Perform health history and physical exam
- Provide education about symptoms, risk factors and disease conditions.
- Provide recommendations on how to manage, treat, and prevent further heart disease.
- Order additional testing if necessary.
- Work with referring doctors to establish best treatment options and follow-up.