The Baby-Friendly Hospital Initiative to support breastfeeding in hospitals and health centres around the world. The Breastfeeding Committee of Canada administers the designation process in Canada based on the WHO/UNICEF “Ten Steps to Successful Breastfeeding” for hospitals and birthing centres. Canada now has 44 Baby-Friendly health facilities that operate with the gold standard in breastfeeding promotion. Globally,154 countries and 21,000 health care facilities have been awarded Baby-Friendly status.
Resources for patients
- What is the Baby-Friendly Initiative?
- NSHA/IWK Infant Feeding Policy
- NSH pregnancy and parenting educational resources
- Government of Nova Scotia Breastfeeding Basics
Resources for staff
- Bringing Evidence to Practice: Introducing the Baby-Friendly Initiative. (youtube video)
- Ten Steps Poster (.pdf)
- "Together We Are Baby-Friendly" poster
- Investing in a Baby-Friendly Nova Scotia infographic (.pdf)