The Acute Stroke Team at the Halifax Infirmary provides acute medical care, early rehabilitation and when appropriate, and palliative care to individuals who have experienced a stroke.
How do I prepare for my appointment/visit?
People are usually admitted through the Emergency Department.
What will happen at my appointment?
This pamphlet explains what to expect during your time on the Acute Stroke Unit
Will there be any follow up after my appointment?
Discharge planning starts as soon as you are admitted to the hospital. Your team members will work with you and your loved ones to come up with your discharge plan based on the care you need. When you leave the Acute Stroke Unit you may go:
- Home (sometimes with extra help)
- Home (with therapy as an outpatient)
- To a hospital closer to home
- To a rehabilitation unit to continue your therapy
- To a long-term care facility