Eastern Memorial Hospital is located in Canso, Nova Scotia. Just 130 kms from St. Martha's Regional Hospital, Eastern Memorial Hospital serves the health care needs of the residents of local communities in the eastern portion of Guysborough County.
Administrative Switchboard: 902-366-2794
Please note: There are currently visitor restrictions in place due to COVID-19. Please visit www.nshealth.ca/temporaryclosures for up-to-date information.
Visitors are welcome daily according to patient preference and care needs. Please check with nursing staff.
*Learn more about NSHA's Family Presence Policy, which welcomes up to two people named by the patient to be their family or primary support person/people.
WiFi and Internet Access
Free public WiFi.
Semi-private and Private Rooms in Nova Scotia Hospitals
- Private room: Includes one bed and one washroom. You can find current rates here.
- Semi-private room: Includes two beds separated by curtains and one washroom. You can find current rates here.
Space in our private and semi-private rooms is limited. The sooner we have your insurance information the more likely we are to be able to accommodate your request.
When the booking clerk calls with your hospital admission date, let them know you are interested in a private or semi-private room.
When you are admitted, be sure to have your private insurance card with you and let the admitting clerk know you have requested a private or semi-private room.TV & Phone in your Room
You can find updated information about costs associated with semi-private and private Rooms in the hospital here.
Fees and Bill Payments
You can find updated information about fees and bill payments for Canadians and out of country patients here.
TV and Phone in your Room
During your stay in hospital, you have the option of activating your bedside telephone service.
How to connect, transfer or disconnect your telephone
- Dial 499 from your bedside telephone and a BellAliant representative will arrange to have your telephone service connected, transferred to another bed, or disconnected.
- BellAliant’s office is open Monday to Saturday, 8:15 a.m. to 4:45 p.m., except holidays.
- If you have questions about the service, please call 1-800-760-8969.
- When you are discharged remember to dial 499 to request that your phone be disconnected so that billing is stopped.
- If you forget to request your hospital phone disconnected before discharged to home, call 1-800-760-8969 Monday to Saturday between 8:15 a.m. and 4:45 p.m. to arrange disconnection.
Service and Connection Rates
- There is a $10 connection charge to set up in-hospital phone service.
- The following fees also apply:
- $2 per day for the first 15 days
- $1.25 per day for each additional day up to and including 30 days
- $0.75 for each day after 30 days
- Daily service and connection charges are billed to your BellAliant home telephone account.
- If you are with another provider, BellAliant will create a separate account for the duration of your hospital stay.
- Your bill can be paid the same way you would pay any other BellAliant bill.
Bedside TV services are available in each of the patient rooms through Bell Satellite service. The following rates apply:
- Daily: $5
- Weekly: $25
- Monthly: $100
- Palliative care patients and patients approved and awaiting long-term care receive this as a free service.
How to set up bedside TV service
- If you wish to activate your TV, let your nursing staff know.
- Staff are available from Monday to Friday between 7:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. and Sundays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. to set up your TV service.
- We can address any questions or concerns, receive cash payment and process your request.
During your stay at the hospital, you will receive breakfast, lunch and supper daily. You can choose from a variety of options each day. The menus typically include:
- Breakfast: An assortment of homemade muffins, hot and cold cereals, yogurt and fruit, coffee or tea.
- Lunch: Choose from soup and sandwiches, mixed vegetables, pasta and casseroles, including dessert of fresh fruit or a sweet.
- Supper: Options include meat, fish, potatoes and vegetables.
If you follow a special diet or have food-related allergies or sensitivities, let us know when you arrive.
The procedure for ordering meals will be further discussed on admission by dietetic technicians. If you need help filling out your menu, or feel you or your family member may be unable fill out the menus daily, please talk to the dietetic technicians.
Cafeteria and Vending Machines
Lighthouse Café, main level
Hours of operation:
Open daily: 10 a.m. to 10:30 a.m., noon to 1 p.m., 3 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. and 5 p.m. to 5:45 p.m.
Spiritual Spaces and Quiet Rooms
Requests for spiritual care can be made by patients, family member and/or any member of the inter-disciplinary health care team.
Ask your primary care provider for a referral to a Diabetes Centre. It will be reviewed by our team and you will be contacted for an appointment.
Tel: (902) 366-2794
Fax: (902) 366-2740
Blood Collection Location
Specimen Testing Dropoff Site
Water Testing Dropoff Site
Samples must be collected using the water testing bottles provided by NS Health. E.Coli & Coliform testing is a white top 100 ML bottle / Chemical & Mineral testing is a black top 200 ML bottle
Bacterial testing is currently not available at this location. Please drop samples to Bureau Veritas Laboratories, 465 George St, Sydney, NS (902-567-1255). Chemical testing is still available through the NSH clinical laboratories and sent to CZ Environmental Services.
Sample Bottle Pick-Up for Water Testing
Eastern Memorial Laboratory from 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
Emergency Care Site
The department is on the main level of the hospital. Please go directly to the department and ring the bell.
If you need help immediately, call 911.
To access the mental health mobile crisis team call 902-429-8167 or toll-free at 1-888-429-8167. This is a 24 hour, seven days a week phone service to help you or your loved one cope with mental health and addiction challenges in the moment.
Clinics, Programs and Services
Offered at 33 locations
Occupational Therapists work at most sites within the Nova Scotia Health Authority. These therapists work in both mental health and physical medicine settings. Therapists/assistants work with inpatients and outpatients in...
Offered at 40 locations
Physiotherapy is the health care profession dedicated to enhancing and restoring your mobility through a variety of hands-on treatments, education and exercise prescription.
Physiotherapists are university-educated experts who can help...