Pre Placement Requirements
The following pre-placement requirements must be completed PRIOR to any learning placement commencing at NSHA. Depending on the nature or location of the placement, additional requirements may be required. NSHA will inform you of any additional requirements when the placement request is received.
NSHA Affiliation Agreement
An Affiliation Agreement between the Placing Agency (i.e. university, college, employer of health care professionals) and NSHA must be completed in order for a placement request to be processed. As this is a legal contract between the two organizations, it can sometimes take months to put this in place.
- Criminal Record Check is required for ALL placements
- Vulnerable Sector Search is required for all clinical placements
- Child Abuse Registry is required for placements involving children and youth.
Background Checks must be completed within 6 months of the placement start date, or as a part of academic requirements. If unsure of the background check requirements for your placement, please contact us.
Immunizations and infectious disease screening
Students/Learners must provide their Placing Agency with proof of obtaining all the vaccinations and immunity tests NSHA requires. Placing Agencies may choose to use the form provided below to collect vaccination and immunity test records from their students/learners. Depending on the student/learner’s discipline or placement area, NSHA may waive the Hepatitis B vaccination and/or two-step Tuberculosis Skin Test requirement. If unsure of the requirements for your placement, please contact us.
NSHA Student/Learner Placement Agreement
All students/learners are required to review and sign the NSHA Student/Learner Placement Agreement and return it to their Placing Agency
Privacy and Confidentiality Training and Pledge of Confidentiality
All Students/Learners are required to complete the NSHA Privacy and Confidentiality Training Module and review and complete the NSHA Privacy and Confidentiality.
- NSHA Privacy and Confidentiality Training module. (Once on the eLearning page, select “LMS guest access NSHA/IWK Privacy and Confidentiality Training". Please ignore Slide 15 of the module, which will direct you to download and sign the Pledge of Confidentiality attached to the slide. This version of the Pledge is for NSHA employees. The link below takes you to the version of the pledge students need to sign.)
- NSHA Pledge of Confidentiality (.pdf)
HSPnet Consent Form
NSHA uses the HSPnet student placement database to manage over 5000 placement requests it processes annually. All students/learners are required to sign an HSPnet consent form (.pdf) and submit it to their Placing Agency. Students/Learners are advised to read Identified Purposes of and Handling of Personal Information and Personal Health Information in HSPnet before signing the form.
Submitting Pre-Placement Requirements to NSHA
- Confirmation of Pre-Placement Requirements (.doc)
- Confirmation of Pre-Placement Requirements (.pdf)
- HSPnet consent form * (.pdf)